Thursday, January 10, 2013

To Aidan for his 6th Birthday

Dear Aidan,

I know this is late- many things from me will probably start like that- but this year, your birthday was a little crazy.  You spent the night in the Emergency Room, and our one and only birthday picture features you opening presents with a sick bowl next to you, just in case.  You had a high fever and could barely stay awake.  In the ER, they treated you like royalty, because you were so sweet and polite.

This year with you has been one of my favorites, and one of the scariest.  You started school, are learning to read, and losing teeth.  You are all big kid now, and the moments you want to snuggle like you did when you were little are all the more special for this.   You love making things, and the art table is the most common place to find you in the house.  Science is another favorite- you are still quite the budding paleontologist, and I saw you trying to explain a concept of evolution to a classmate when I visited you for lunch.  She threw up her hands and exclaimed "not again, Aidan!"

I don't think your dad and I could be any prouder of who you are than we are.  You have such a huge heart, and a capacity for empathy and kindness that I am so grateful for.   You are eager to help those around you, to make their lives brighter.  You are the best big brother to Colin, sharing so kindly and patiently with him while he learns.  He admires you so much, and I am often moved to tears by the love you two have for each other. I think your souls must have been friends for a long, long time.

This year, my wish for you is very simple- that you continue to be who you are: open-hearted, curious, and enthusiastic.  These qualities are exactly what I hoped you would have, and will enrich your life so much.

Love,

Mom.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet letter. Happy 6th Birthday Aidan! I can't believe our babies are getting so old! It seems like I was just running into you at the Y when you were pregnant with him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave me a note. It means a lot!