Friday, April 26, 2013

Unfair and Very Generous.



Sometimes, you write blog posts.  Then sometimes, they write themselves in your heart and mind and won't stop until you actually put them in black and white and you don't feel right until you share them.  Today is one of those posts.   I'm not exactly secretive about the fact that procreation isn't my strong suit.  I am able to get pregnant and carry, but not without medical intervention, and I'm pretty open about this.  Maybe that is s because misery loves company, and maybe it's because I feel like sharing my story could help someone else, and maybe it's because just getting these things off my chest feels good.  Whatever the reason is,  this week is infertility awareness week, and I find myself acutely aware of a few things.

The first is that sometimes we don't know how much we want something until we are told it's going  to be hard to get it.

The second is that there is a lot of irony in the fact that medications that aid fertility can make you feel so emotionally off kilter, you wonder if you should be allowed to have children in the first place.

Third, and probably most important, is that life isn't fair.  It's just not, but if I'm going to cry because life isn't fair, I have to acknowledge that life is both unfair and generous to all of us.   When I compare my situation to what I know of other people's lives, it is hard to remember that I'm only comparing the dirty details of my own shortcomings to what others allow to be seen on the outside.  When I look at my life as I should, standing on it's own, I see that life is, and has been, beautiful and more than generous.

So there that is.  I do feel better now that I have let this post take a life of its own.   For more of what I've written about this- see here.

Happy weekend, everyone.   I hope that in it  we can take the time to see how generous life is.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a beautiful post. I'm glad you wrote it. And shared it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave me a note. It means a lot!